Welcome students to El Paso Community College Databases Libguide for Jennifer Dahlgren-Richardson, Sign Language Interpreter Instructor.
Here you will be guided through a step-by-step process to access online scholarly articles in journals, magazines and newspapers. It is a starting point for subject research.
In addition to the step-by-step process, you may search for other online and print sources that are available at the library using the tabs on this libguide.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact Caty Piñón, Valle Verde Librarian, at (915)831-2172. Click on the tabs above to get started.
Step-by-Step Online Basic Database Search Process
- Go to http://www.epcc.edu/library/Pages/default.aspx
- Click on ONLINE DATABASES
- Click on DATABASE COLLECTIONS
Click on EBSCOHOST DATABASES
*If you are off-campus, click on OFF-CAMPUS LINK to gain access
- CLICK on Ebscohost Web - All Databases
- Check on ACADEMIC SEARCH COMPLETE and click CONTINUE
- Choose THREE search terms and type them in the individual boxes
- Once you have selected your THREE terms, you will need to LIMIT your results by checking off boxes in the following categories:
- FULL TEXT
- SCHOLARLY (PEER REVIEWED) JOURNAL
Go back to the top and click SEARCH
- For practice follow steps 1-8 using the following information:
Three search terms:
- SIGN LANGUAGE
- LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT
- FULL TEXT
- SCHOLARLY (PEER REVIEWED) JOURNALS
- LANGUAGE - ENGLISH
THIS IS AN IMAGE OF THE RESULTS PAGE YOU WOULD SEE USING THE SEARCH TERMS & LIMITERS LISTED ABOVE.
- Click the BLUE TITLE of the abstract you want to read
- Read the abstract and if you decide you want to read the whole article click on PDF FULL TEXT
END OF STEP-BY-STEP ONLINE DATABASE SEARCH PROCESS